Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Keep Left!

A quick update since it's the first of this adventure, and I know some have wondered....


I wish it was packed with more exciting, romanticized tales of island life 2.0 - but so far here's the main thought process in my worried little head:


Left side driving in a right steered car + large traffic circles with lots of traffic + no sense of direction in knowing where I should exit the traffic circle!  Throw in braking for iguanas for good measure.


Well, this has made things exciting.  In all honesty, I've hardly noticed what I've driven by the past 2 days due to the sheer panic of left side driving.  To be less dramatic, I will admit: today feels 70% better than yesterday (which was day one), so this should be a quick enough turn around.  


Positives: I have yet to crash anything or harm anyone (other than an already squashed chicken I had no choice but to re-maim).  


The island itself seems quite nice.  It is very "western" for lack of a better term (we won't get into whether that's a pro or con), minus billions of caribbean nuances, plenty of free range chickens (on business front even), random seeming cows, and far more gorgeous scenery.   It has more traffic than I expected, and feels larger than it is (I think on account of how low laying it is, and how many one way streets there are).  There seems lots to do (and eat!!!!), and places to be, which is great.  The weather is lovely, and everyone I've met has been super helpful, wonderful, and accommodating.  


More words and pictures to come....  


Missing everyone back home already!


(photo: Starfish Point, Grand Cayman, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment