I’ve have now been “on-island” for 5 days. All 5 days have been packed with plenty of new experiences – so much so, that I don’t know where to begin.
I am staying with a host family for the next week and a half, and they truly may be some of the nicest people I have ever met in my life. My ‘family’ consists of a husband and wife only, as their children are in their 20’s and have gone to the US. I was very nervous to meet them on day one, and really didn’t know what to expect – but low and behold, it was a great match. The husband works with children who have special needs, both in the school and in the homes (what a coincidence!). The wife is a joyous little lady who is soft spoken and shy, until you make her laugh – then she produces a high scream of a laugh that puts mine to shame! They were initially as nervous to have me, as I was to be here, which was entirely reassuring. I hear my name A LOT, although it has become 3 separate words “Mey LA nie, Mey LA nie, are you happy? Are you okay?” Somewhere between today and yesterday I have been transformed into simply “LA nie”, and there is currently a large argument taking place over whether my “local name” will be the maternal or paternal grandmother’s name. They really have welcomed me in a manner I can’t begin to put into words – they have literally given me the meals of their plates, the pillows off their beds, and the local clothes off of their clotheslines. I hear the words “EAT. EAT. EAT!” more times a day than I can count, as they seem to think I have an eating disorder with this “no meat thing”, and gangly build. Tonight at dinner, my Host-Mom said, “I want to make you fat”, to which my Host-Dad replied “We want you to be 300 pounds”. They roared with laughter when I said my boyfriend back home may not share their sentiments.
The language is tough. I am learning it in school every day, and studying it with my Host-Parents at night. Pronunciation is key. Last night, while attempting to say “I’m tired” (Nga ullac), I said “I have crabs”. The puzzled looks encouraged me to re-annunciate a clear “I’m from hell”. Lovely. Especially for such devout Christians to hear at the dinner table. Our first day of language class, we learned the basics. Our teacher was very thorough, and asked us to repeat the words/ phrases several time as the pronunciation is so difficult. This means, for a solid 5 minutes we listened and repeated to the word “Fukyeah”, with different amounts of emphasis on the Fuk vs. Yeah, and nobody burst into laughter. The teacher emphasized that it was very important to pronounce it properly, because if you were to say “Kom Fuk-eh” instead of “Kom Fuk-yeah”, you would be saying “You’re crazy”, instead of “How are you”. Perfect. Lesson learned, watch your ‘eh’s, little Canadian girl – but Fuk is always acceptable.
The food…. ohhhhh, the food. There certainly is no shortage of food here. While all imported goods are ridiculously priced, there is plenty of meat, rice, local fruit (tangerines, papayas, breadfruit, taro, more kinds of bananas than I knew existed, etc), and some vegetables grown in small gardens (mostly cabbage and cucumber, although I was promised pumpkins for Halloween). Vegetarian dishes? That’s an entirely different topic of discussion. I have eaten well still, as my Host-Mother is very creative and whips up meals just for me despite my telling her not to go to the trouble (tempura vegetables, cooked instead of raw tuna, fried rice pilau, vegetable soup, etc.). I have had some tougher moments still, as Sunday’s meals are provided by the church and have sometimes 5 kinds of meats piled on top of the rice and vegetables. Typical meats are sashimi/ raw fish, fried chicken, dog, some pork (although mostly on special occasions, and often cooked underground), spam (if that counts as meat), and turkey tail. Turkey tail, is not so much the tail of the turkey as it is the rear end, deep fried in batter. Needless to say, I have yet to sample it.
We did watch the solar eclipse here – passing around 2 pairs of glasses, and trying desperately to get one good photograph. Much to my chagrin, I was not able to capture it, but for 2 photos which are somehow entirely purple.
Overall, my experiences here thus far have been wonderful. The locals are friendly, welcoming people with warm smiles and big hearts. While I may always be considered “Canadian – ahhh, that’s part of the states”, I definitely feel well received and comfortable thus far. Luckily for me, the attitude towards Americans is generally positive here.
Until next time…. Khut fa oshun!
Until next time…. Khut fa oshun!
(photo: Plumeria en route to island via overnight stay in Oahu)
Hey Mel: Surprise that I actually read your update and seem to be the first to respond." Good Job" What kind of dog did they serve up??
ReplyDeleteDid ya try it and if ya did were up barking in the middle of the night??
"Fukyeah"
Dad a.k.a Faath
Miss Ya!!!
you should have taken a piece of paper. Poked a small hole in it, and focused the image onto another paper. This would have given you the image of the eclipse, but on the paper. =(
ReplyDeleteSounds like you're having fun. Looking forward to reading more.
Hey Mel, Great to read your update and hear that you're having such a great time. It's all sounds very intriguing. You've got me rethinking my options. Oh how great it must be to get away from the 9 to 5, on your tiny little island paradise. Take care. Love you. Momxoxoxo
ReplyDeleteLA nie if you get to be 300 hundred pounds do not sit on any rickety old chairs LOL Love Rand
ReplyDeleteHey you. What an experience....except for the dog thing :(
ReplyDeleteYou'll be happy to know the Conman looks at the book you made him daily, he loves it, and always has a big smile while reading it.
Take care,
Angie & Connor
I'm soooo happy to read your update! Your picture of my fav flower is amazing!!!! I can't wait to see more of your pictures.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to read your next post!
Sar
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
So good to read your wonderfully descriptive update. Your host parents sound charming. I think being 300 pounds would be impossible for you - but they would take that as a sign of prosperity and being good hosts! Dog and turkey tail ....hmmmmm challenging indeed!! Good luck with your language lessons - especially throwing around the 'fuks'!!!
ReplyDeleteHey Mel....could this be happening...Mel will eat dog!!!! That is discussing...how could you. Those poor little things so helpless!!!!!! Go and munch down some tuna or pork...LOL
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that everything is going well.
Cheers....Trace
Hey Lemonie. Ive never met anyone with so many names. Great opening postings. It almost feels like we're all there. It's like you're taking us all the rest of us wretched peasants on a magic carpet ride. Can't wait for the next stop. As for the dog thing...dog is actully quite tasty. But to be frank it has to be served hot. Sorry... I had to say that. Please let the travelogue/dialogue continue. Methinks the girl has a way with the pen.
ReplyDeleteHey Mel,
ReplyDeleteGlad you are having a good time so far. It must feel nice to be welcomed so quickly. Keep up the great writing...
Nothing much is happening back here yet. The Coffey golf day was this past Saturday, but Chas and I could not make it....Chas had to have some "minor" toe surgery, and was in no mood for Coffey's (I didnt blame him either).
I'll try to keep you posted...Keep up the blogging (and skyping...you nerd)
Hey Melanie!
ReplyDeleteGlad you are well. Your family sounds wonderful. Too bad you can't stay there the whole time. Weather- what's the weather like? STILL raining here.
Jen-e-fa