
‘Island time’ is alive and well here on this 42 square mile South Pacific Island.
We were all supposed to move into our respective homes as of this past Saturday, but low and behold the home I was supposed to move into with 2 others was not ready. The owners were in fact living there themselves, and the home was in a transitory stage of repairs. So, the 3 of us slotted to live there have been squatting in the home of some of the other teachers in our group – which has actually been quite entertaining. With 6 people in a small home with one bathroom, we’re beginning to feel like The Real World. Thankfully everyone has got along very well, and the three of us homeless folk are just happy to have a roof over our heads and an amazing ocean view.
I had mixed emotions about leaving my host family’s home. While the thought of not feeling like a 14 year old girl was super appealing, the loss of conversational language and daily contact with my host parents themselves negated the appeal of freedom to some extent. I know that I will stay in touch with them both, and they will insist I visit regularly, so I haven’t suffered a loss. My host mom happens to be one of the most amazing gardeners (and cooks) on island, so as soon as our home is up and running, I want to have her come share her secrets. I have already learned that mud from the mangrove swamps and sea cucumbers are the key to nutrient-rich soil, which I would have never though to try on my own.
On the topic of work: We’re still attending orientation daily, where we have language lessons, TEFL training, and just general orientation to a tiny island type-of-business. It’s somewhat painful as the sun is always shining and we have a clear view of palm trees, and know the ocean is a short walk away. We’re all very eager to actually begin teaching; not solely because our work-days will be complete by 1pm, I swear…
I had mixed emotions about leaving my host family’s home. While the thought of not feeling like a 14 year old girl was super appealing, the loss of conversational language and daily contact with my host parents themselves negated the appeal of freedom to some extent. I know that I will stay in touch with them both, and they will insist I visit regularly, so I haven’t suffered a loss. My host mom happens to be one of the most amazing gardeners (and cooks) on island, so as soon as our home is up and running, I want to have her come share her secrets. I have already learned that mud from the mangrove swamps and sea cucumbers are the key to nutrient-rich soil, which I would have never though to try on my own.
On the topic of work: We’re still attending orientation daily, where we have language lessons, TEFL training, and just general orientation to a tiny island type-of-business. It’s somewhat painful as the sun is always shining and we have a clear view of palm trees, and know the ocean is a short walk away. We’re all very eager to actually begin teaching; not solely because our work-days will be complete by 1pm, I swear…
The scenery here is far more beautiful than I can begin to describe. The fact that I am not a visitor, but actually live here, has yet to sink in. Every now and then, a glimpse of something will catch my eye, and I will realize how foreign of a thing it is to see. Today, while snorkeling in the ocean amongst the schools of exotic coloured fish, various types of coral, and sea cucumbers (which I have decided are truly vile creatures, but more on that later), it occurred to me that the only time I had ever seen fish as remarkable as these was in fish tanks. It might sound strange, but the moment preceding that realization seemed completely normal. Last night I watched the sunset behind a mountain of lush greens and spiky palms while floating in the ocean. The water is ridiculously salty, and my buoyancy is indeed quite luxurious. I have to make a strong, concerted effort to keep my feet below me, and not on the water’s surface - and instead of swimming can literally glide through the water by making minute ‘walking’ movements. It is nothing short of splendid.
The thought, “Why do humans even inhabit Canada?” crosses my mind regularly. But it shouldn’t go without mention that there are also daily biazzro sightings which never should seem “normal”, but somehow just become part of the experience. For example,
The thought, “Why do humans even inhabit Canada?” crosses my mind regularly. But it shouldn’t go without mention that there are also daily biazzro sightings which never should seem “normal”, but somehow just become part of the experience. For example,
~ children hanging out of car windows while the car is mobile
~ children seated on the laps of drivers in cars/ and or trucks
~ homes with no windows, doors, or furniture – but for some reason have television sets.
~ chickens crossing the road
~ conga lines of sugar ants every 2 feet (indoors or out)
~ run-away pigs, with the owners in tow wielding sticks
~ pick up trucks with plastic lawn chairs in the flat bed for random hitchers
~ frogs in your kitchen and/ or classroom
~ geckos on your pillow in the morning
~ rat-tails (the hairstyle) on every man under the age of 30, most frequently off the top of the head, rather than the nape of the neck
You’d think these would all be “Dorothy, we’re not in Kansas anymore” moments, but the rate at which they become normal is startling.
(photo: "The Blue Hole" in Tofol, our choice snorkel spot)
Hi Mel,
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you're having such a wonderful time. It all sounds very exotic. How are the mosquitoes? I hope they're not having a feast on your lily white North "American" skin. I just got back from Maeve's cottage and everyone is well. Still waiting to hear about Auntie Monica. Connor and Eamon stayed with her last night. Nana & probably Maeve will be going over to support the family. OMG, you should have seen Nana last night, she was on the four-wheeler with Maeve, with her knees dug into Maeve's back all the way. She looked hilarious. Take care. Love you. Momxoxo
Oh Mel - your writing is so descriptive and eloquent!!Great to hear about the cultural adjustment - which you are obviously managing very well!! We leave on Wednesday for our west coast trip - so I am packing - but not the sort of packing you had to do. Very different indeed! So good to have this contact available.
ReplyDeleteLove,
R.