Saturday will mark 4 months on island. Up until now 2 legs and a pair of beaten flip-flops have taken me everywhere. I’d been dreaming of a scooter purchase, and in the process of negotiating over one for some time, but alas it was time to give up hope. With less than 6 months remaining here on island, and with the novelty of walking hours to everything having long worn off, it was time to become more mobile. It’s been time to become more mobile for some time, but of course there were no options to do so, as the hardware store had not gotten a shipment of bicycles in 3 months. Low and behold yesterday was my lucky day, and I am now the proud owner of one gold Huffy Newport cruiser. It is complete with a shiny gold frame, cream fenders, a large comfy seat, and white striped wheels, which clearly mark quality. I boast, but in reality, hope this bike lasts longer than the seemingly standard 3 months everything here lasts.
I actually did not want to purchase a bicycle at all, as flat tires are a regular occurrence here, and the dogs seem to have quite the vengeance for said tires/ legs of riders. In fact I am without a dog whacking stick, which is as essential as an operating chain, here on Kosrae. Hopefully, I can make it until I find a good solid stick with unscathed ankles. I realize the concept of whacking a dog sounds terrible to you, my Western readers, but until you’ve been in a face-to-face Darwinian battle with a vicious mangy mutt, please judge lightly.
Life in other areas is progressing nicely. I’m excited to report to those of you at home, who may be awake at 11pm EST on Tuesday nights, ‘Wolana Wednesdays with Melanie’, AKA my radio show, can be live streamed on http://www.fm/kosrae/radio.htm
Halloween. Halloween. Anyone who knows me knows that Halloween is pivotal in my life. I love absolutely everything about Halloween, and while there were no pumpkins to be carved or seeds to be roasted, we still managed to celebrate fairly well. We even had some trick-or-treaters at home and at the restaurant at which we celebrated! I was not expecting trick-or-treaters and scrambled at the site of them, donning out ice cream sandwiches in a pinch, to the delight of the wee ones. At the party, the ‘rule’ stated costumes could only be comprised of things found on island, so creativity was key. We had everything from dead backpackers to Akon songs (Akon is legendary amongst local youth who have new access to MTV), and I went as The Sleeping Lady. The Sleeping Lady is a mountain formation the island is well known for, and was a fun costume to make with vines to drape around myself, and leaves the size of my torso to pin to my clothing. Since I like to milk things, I celebrated for two days, the first being Halloween here, and the second being Halloween at home. I was fortunate to have an ‘Emergency Halloween Kit’ shipped to me by one good boy, and spent Halloween EST watching scary movies wearing Halloween socks, and eating sacred peanut butter cups! (Thanks, Chris!)
The month of November will be over in the bat of an eyelash, as every week but one has at least one holiday. It’s wild to think that December could possibly be in the near future, since there is little variation in temperature or weather. We have had some cooler days as of late, mostly due to rain. In fact, I happened to spot an actual thermometer on one of the handful of days I was actually cold enough to feel gooseflesh on my arms and legs. I almost slapped myself when I read that it was 30 degrees celsius and I was complaining of feeling cold. How I will ever survive a Canadian winter again, I haven’t the slightest clue.
I think nothing of you getting a dog whacking stick. Having grown up in the country as a child, when people let their dogs roam free, riding my bike and getting chased by them where I would have to offer out my leg and sort of kick them to get away, although as you said this offers up a tasty chew for them- I am all for the stick. I think nothing of it!
ReplyDeleteBy the way, the gold on your bike reminds me of your car- remember the gold teeth!
Oh Chris, We love him!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you got to do some celebrating. Hooray for Halloween!
(Alisha & Kaleb)