Nearly a month has come and gone and I now find myself with a heart full of love back on my island of beauty. My original impressions of England were something to the effect of “Well, this is sweet”, and “Wow, how old IS that?” and “OH MY GOD, I’m GOING TO DIE” (the latter said learning to drive a standard car on tiny country dirt roads one car can barely fit down, when somehow another car is headed towards you and you’re both meant to fit on that stretch of dirt). Without focusing on the negative, I will say that the summer weather in England isn’t much to be desired, but the charm, lush landscapes, amazing people I met, pebble beaches, baby piglets, fresh garden produce, and long solo walks with my camera to keep me company, made up for what I lacked in Vitamin D absorption. Given that I was working Mon-Fri, and seriously adjusting to the time difference for the first time in my travels, my sightseeing was reserved mostly for weekends and was not as adventure packed as you might expect. Most evenings, I would practice my driving, which was originally an anxiety filled hour or two, but became something worthy of a smile in the end. Driving alongside vast fields in the golden evening sun, I one day kept pace alongside 8 baby deer galloping gracefully though the field. It was an “Ahhhh” moment, and made me think England was an alright place to be. By the end of the trip, I was sad to say goodbye to the little standard Fiat and had come to love whipping along the winding roads, switching gears with "ease" (term used lightly). As for the majority of my non-driving time, I stayed in a thatched cottage from the 1600’s, set on a giant garden with a monstrous (and surely ancient) Oak tree creating dancing light displays as it’s leaves blew in the coastal wind. The family who owned the house (relatives of my employer), were wonderful people who brought much laughter to my day, and let me try to snuggle some of their screaming baby piglets without mocking me. While it’s true I was definitely allergic to England for the first week or so, my body adjusted to the history (and mildew), and I found myself feeling very comfortable and slowed to countryside pace…. Not that my island pace needed much adjustment, mind you. Eating proper fish and chips from a shop with a regular queue around the block was on my list of “cheats”, but it somehow escaped me in the end. I spent my first weekend in London, hopping around the buzz of the city with all its tourists and underground system. As far as cities go, I quite enjoyed it, mostly for it’s multi-culturalism and arts and history. I spent barely 48 hours there cascading around with tourists on a hop-on, hop-off double decker bus – taking in the sights and history of everything from Big Ben to the Eye of London giant merry-go-round. I enjoyed a few nice meals, spent time with a friend from here in Cayman who was also in the UK on holiday, took in a show, and got lost in the underground due to tube closures in preparation for the upcoming Olympics. The riots began while I was in London, but unbeknownst to me and my touristy self. Shame how opportunism can corrupt and harm, but I digress. Instead of dwelling on the political mumbo-jumbo of the riots, I was busy watching Christie Brinkley as Roxie Hart in Chicago, not even knowing it was her (I found out after the fact when my boss asked me what I thought of her, and did some research to find out it was in fact her… how she is so young looking is simply beyond me, and this DID prompt me to seek out the best organic face creams England could provide). Seeing the show was cathartic for me, as I had tickets to see it when it came to the NAC in Ottawa 5 years ago, but had a change in plans as Sean was taken from us that very day. Always in my thoughts while I travel and experience things to be grateful for, that evening’s thoughts of Sean were omnipresent. My remaining two weekends in England were spent in the countryside being reminded that I am not as young as I once was after a proper night at the pub with some wonderful people a handful of years younger than me (but obviously with secret hangover remedies I am not in the know about), and a crazy outdoor riverside party complete with a fire-dancing woman, who later did some sort of welding display/ suggestive dance I couldn’t wrap my head around in my state of not-quite-sobriety, followed by hours and hours of dancing, laughing, and having a refreshing great time. It was carnival time in Aldeburgh (pronounced something like “allborough”, though I never quite perfected that word), and I partook in a magical night of thousands of people walking down the old streets amongst even older shops and homes, all of us holding Chinese lanterns, illuminated in every colour under the rainbow. We all walked to the sea together, where we sat on the pebble beach, some people letting off flying lanterns (which were a gorgeous site, although likely environmentally disasterous), and taking in a fireworks display. Overall, the month brought me an experience I wasn’t expecting and I’ve come back to Cayman more balanced and appreciating that I can equally love a damp and gray land, and a tropical paradise. This morning, in Cayman a random woman at the grocery store greeted me as though we were in a church this morning and after a short chat with her and some mention of "The Big J", she stated, “Some people woke up crying this morning. We need to be thankful”. I couldn’t agree with that statement more. While my thoughts, love, wishes, spirit, and hopes are still with some very special friends at home, I am thankful for my health and happiness here in Cayman, after a month of calm in England. I have just chosen to embark upon a new challenge for the next month, inspired by my yoga studio: a 30 day challenge of 30 yoga classes in 30 days. “See” you all in a month with an update of strength and very sweaty clothing!
"Family Portrait" - Piglets at weaning.
A steeple of some very important church, the details of which I've forgotten.
Wandering around Scape, Suffolk.
Sounds like my kind of place.
The Aldeburgh annual carnival fireworks display.
The Aldeburgh lantern procession.
Love at first sight.
Orford Castle, 12th Century.
Saturday morning indulgence on the pebble beach (sorry liver and pancreas).
Suffolk postbox.
Winchester Cathedral.
The Drift B&B, Iken, Suffolk.
Some cheezy tourist.
Orford, Suffolk.
Aldeburgh, Suffolk.
No comments:
Post a Comment