Thursday, October 1, 2009

Wacngin Tsunami


For those who may have worried, as of today we are Tsunami Free!


Wacngin (pronounced wangin') in exact translation means "nothing", but in a language of minimal words, it is also used to say "no", "we have none", "there are none", "it is no more", etc. We hear this word in the grocery store A LOT. They seem to have wacngin most things, most days.


Luckily, wacngin tsunami yesterday. Although, we were under warning, and did have a scare. I have never before experienced the "go home and get your passport in case you need to be evacuated" jitters, and am embarassed to admit I was more concerned about going home to get my camera, but alas it is truth.

So, after a brief scramble, and a few hours spent sitting on a mountain watching the ocean observing wacngin I was home safely.

A wave simply wasn't meant to take us yesterday.

It did prove to be yet another day off for the students (for good reason, of course). Classes have been in session for 8 weeks now, but somehow the students have only had 23 actual days of instruction. Tomorrow is the last day of the quarter, finals will be next week, and the SATs will be the following - I hope that something (ANYTHING) I've taught in such limited time has sunk in. Keep your fingers crossed, all!





( photo: post-sunset feral dogs on the beach, Tafunsak )

2 comments:

  1. OH THANK GOD YOU'RE OK!! We were thinking of you and wondering if your tiny piece of paradise had been spared. Thank you for letting all who care about you know.
    I love reading your blogs, you should be a writer...you're very good at it.
    Angie, Connor & family

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm soooo happy to read you are safe. Now that it's safe does that mean it's safe for me to come and visit or stay for the year? :0) That is a stunning picture!
    xoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete